Saturday, August 18, 2012

summer recap 2012: summer attitude

On the eve of the eve of the first day of school, I begin my recap of summer. The road back home to Fargo is long and usually seems to take forever; my stay is long too- about three weeks- but is always over in a flash. At a tortilla making dinner hosted by my parents, the guests told stories of their favorite summer vacations. I tried to think of one from the past- Ireland? A hiking trip? Wisconsin Dells? They were all snapshots of delights in my mind. But it occurred to me that while I've always loved my summer months, this one felt different. I finally realized why while driving: this was the first summer in years that I didn't need to move, finish a dissertation, find a job, complete comprehensive exams, enter or finish any schooling. In other words, I felt that I had embraced a summer attitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment