Sunday, March 28, 2010

brittle bash


The 80s band Bow Wow Wow released a popular single that so clearly articulated a message of love and positivity. The song is "I Want Candy" and this repeated verse always sounds sweet. As a life-long appreciator of candy, I decided it is high time I learned how it is made. I purchased Field Guide to Candy (which could also be titled "An Ode to Corn Syrup") and started drooling. There are recipes and histories of so many different varieties of candy from marshmallow peeps to taffy to all things chocolate-dipped. I decided to start with a classic: peanut brittle. It was so fun to make it in one of my great-grandmother's pots and see the changes in the mixture as if it was chemistry project. The color and shine was so fantastic and it was a blast to break it up. Oh, and it was quite tasty too.

No comments:

Post a Comment