Saturday, April 11, 2009

dwell in possibility

Emily Dickinson is my favorite poet. I am sure to post more of her poems as this blog goes on. This one is especially important to me, as it captures the basic ideas in the philosophy of communication through spatial metaphors:

I dwell in Possibility
A fairer House than Prose
More numerous of Windows
Superior -- for Doors

Of Chambers as the Cedars
Impregnable of Eye
And for an Everlasting Roof
The Gambrels of the Sky

Of Visitors -- the fairest
For Occupation -- This
The spreading wide of narrow Hands
To gather Paradise

2 comments:

  1. She wanted to ascertain the feelings of each of her visitors, she wanted to compose her own, and to make herself agreeable to all; and in the latter object, where she feared most to fail, she was most sure of success, for those to whom she endeavoured to give pleasure were prepossessed in her favour.
    “Pride And Prejudice” – Jane Austen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just wandering around online, looking to see what people thought of this poem - you're one of the first people to even mention the content ("spatial metaphors") as opposed to talking about her many dashes in this poem, suggesting rearrangement/incompleteness.

    I wonder if you'd like the analysis of Dickinson's "I dwell in possibility" I wrote some time ago. I think I do a pretty good job with the spatial metaphors.

    ReplyDelete